Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Keeping the "Watchdog" Out of the Cage.

This past weekend I read an article by Jennifer Dorroh called "Endangered Species" in the American Journalism Review.  It pointed out how as money becomes tighter, news bureaus shrink and shut down, democracy is at stake.  The article gave an example about Copley News Service Washington bureau.  This bureau unfolded the story about former Congressman Randy 'Duke' Cunningham,  and his connection with bribe-taking.    In the article,  former bureau chief for the company had state, " Nobody else would've gotten Duke Cunningham.  USA Today, AP, New York Times, none of them would devote resources to a backbench, local San Diego congressman in that kind of detail." The article goes on to say "local newspapers and newspaper companies are backing away from Washington coverage or dropping it altogether."   Another example is Newhouse News Service. The newspaper they served was not able to pay for their services hence forcing them to shut down November 7.  So right after the elections , editors and others were eliminated.  For other bureaus, they are cutting back on space, working from cars or working from from the Capitol itself.  The main concern the article poses is that there is a need for, "regional presence in Washington in terms of keeping up with the interests in Washington." 

I understand this article caters towards the newspaper industry, but I find this article brings up a very important issue.  With all the cut backs, how are regional newspapers going to follow their representatives to Washington and be the ultimate "watchdog."  I remember freshman year reading Elements of Journalism by Bill Kovach.  There was an example highlighting the fact that for a country to take full control they have to control the media.  Now I'm not saying that is the objective of US politicians, but journalist have a big role in making sure there is a balance of power and something like this does not happen. Journalist in all mediums (tv, print , radio) can be viewed as an audit person, always checking , researching and making sure that politicians are doing what's best for their constituents.   So, having regional reporters follow their representatives is important due to the fact what might impact someone in Texas won't necessarily impact someone else in Ohio. It's vital that the people who voted them in are aware of the decisions regardless if it only applies to a state, because their decisions can effect the country all together.   It's scary to know that the industry is in such a bind to where regional journalist are out of jobs because of cutbacks.  I know there are ways to cover issues from Washington without being there but it's just not the same.  Having someone physically be there and truly getting to the point is completely different. 

After I finished my package for broadcast two, I realized that not only do I have a lot to learn, I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.  I like the challenge though, hence that's why I chose this major.  My next story is about sport injuries.  Specifically focusing on a woman who used to be a cheerleader and is still feeling the impacts of her cheerleading accident in college. This is just an idea, and I might focus on something else, but I think this would be a great opportunity to work on my writing and shooting skill.  Every opportunity is a good one, but I really want to learn how to be creative.  While working on my last package, I got really excited when it came to sit down and write.  This is a new phenomena for me , especially since I find writing to be weak point, but I truly want to get better.  What I learned from my last package is that I need to ask better questions.  I get so caught up with introducing the question that by the time the subject answers, they don't have much to say.  I have to be specific with out being specific. Become a better interviewer or writer isn't to just get a good grade. I know I could always be thinking, " oh your grade is on the line!"  but for some weird reason, I don't view this as something I'm doing for a grade.  I view it as my career and my job.  I think that is the better mind set any ways, rather than looking at it as a class project but rather an opportunity to become a great journalist. 

Cheers,
Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment