Monday, May 25, 2009

School world plus real world equals life

School at the University of Missouri had commencement May 16, then summer school for journalism students began Monday May 18th! Well the start of an intesnse but, meaningful senior year is now underway and I have exactly one year to soak in all the knowledge possible from this great Journalism School.

I began Jen Reeves, Advanced Internet Applications for Radio and TV class last Monday. This is a very popular class at MIZZOU because it helps advance students to the new media world of using social networking as a tool for journalism as well as connecting with the community. This includes blogging, Twitter, Facebook, KOMU.com and so much more in order for use to reach as many people as possible. We participate in weekly shifts called "Dot-COM Shifts" for KOMU-8's website. KOMU is an NBC Affiliate in mid-Missouri is experimenting with new ways to connect with its community using webcasts, and social networking . In this class we learn how to maintain the site, keep stories posted, add new information and stay engaged with the news. The main priority of this class is to expand our knowledge to help serve the community better as well as land a job. In an industry where the old model is out the door and a new model is being discovered, knowing how to do just about everything is a must!

While I'm taking summer school I'm also working as a server at Ruby Tuesday's . I've never served before so this is a great life experience. I'm trying to make some extra money on the side as well as do something different to gain experience. I feel that all jobs are worth it since it helps you learn about others as well as understand where people come from. I think if I want to be a journalist in the future, I have to experience different things so I can be a better journalist. Knowing what people go through can help one become a better writer!

Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to all those that served, are serving and will serve this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment