Saturday, June 6, 2009

When is it too much.

Social networking is the new trend in journalism. From Facebook to Twitter, journalism professors and news directors across the nation are trying to unite journalist and the public to better share information and keep one another informed. So with all the social networking and putting oneself out there, when does it become too much?
I have been pondering this question as I begin to build my internet reputation as a journalist. There are thoughts and beliefs I refrain from expressing on these mediums to keep my integrity as a journalist but when does it get to the point that I'm "fake?" I believe this is something we are still trying to figure out with all this new technology. When I'm writing on twitter or blogging, I tend to be very objective almost to the point where I subtract the emotion I have towards a certain subject. In this era where being "biased" can ruin one's reputation, I'm afraid to give an opinion. But, I also believe that as a journalist one gives up certain rights as a regular citizen to be completely opinionated.
While I try to find my voice in the internet world, I know for sure that I want to spread information and analyze the way stories are done as well as what's going on in the industry. As I continue my journey, I will figure it out along with everyone else using this new technology.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fascinating prospect. You articulated the dilemma well. I think that reality TV has had this interesting impact on the viewers perception of those relaying news and stories to them; namely, we now want to know if the television anchor we watch has recently engaged in any promiscuous activity, or if they recently were divorced or have a renegade child, or ... etc. I have to affirm your willingness to hold something back emotionally when broadcasting your thoughts via whatever medium you choose.
    This is an old post I know. I found your blog via a friend, very thoughtful, write some new stuff.

    ReplyDelete