Wednesday, March 18, 2009

When You Need a Short Story Who You Going to Call "VO Patrol!"

VO Patrol.

Sounds like something from Ghost Busters, but a "VO Patrol" is when one goes out and and shoots video and gets a couple interviews.  It's a mini story that is read by an anchor and usually lasts between thirty to forty five seconds. 

Well from Saturday until yesterday I was terribly nervous!  This was my first time using the KOMU cameras and reporting as a KOMU reporter.

Whenever I get nervous, I get more confident.  I know that whenever I walk into the station, I must always wear my confidence on my sleve, even when I'm not sure of what I'm doing or when I'm nervous.

My story was about the Columbia Vision Commission.  While I was at the meeting, some of the terminology used was difficult to understand. Going to a meeting where they are mid way through with their process was challenging, but I just had to ask as many questions as possible to make sure I understood just right.

The meeting started at 4:00 and lasted until 6:00 which made me nervous because it would air at the 10:00 and I still had to do some interviews.  Well, at that point my goal was to get back to the station at 7:00.  During the meeting I began to write my script because I had a lot of down time.  This helped a lot.  

Once back at the station, I had to wait for an edit bay, so I hopped on another computer started to write my script in iNews, plugged in my headphones to the camera and started to listen to my interviews. 

I felt good,  I was on time, and all I had to do was upload and edit my video.

The process was not bad at all and was a great way to ease into KOMU.  I made mistakes in my script ( which were caught before time to air) . The use of spell check is a must, as well as supers, and sot times.   I always said , "Oh I'm not going to make mistakes! I've learned from others!"  but it's not until it's time for you to do it that you make some silly ones.  Hey it's a learning process!  I enjoyed it though and feel a little more self confident! 

No comments:

Post a Comment